July 3, 2005
14th Sunday in Ordinary Time
Readings: Zechariah 9: 9-10, Psalm 145, Romans 8: 11-13, Matthew 11: 25-30
"I will praise your name forever,
my King and my God."
We could almost call this Sunday “Christ the King,” if that High Solemnity were not already given to us at the end of each liturgical year. We hear the prophecy from the Old Testament that is fulfilled in Christ’s triumphal entry into Jerusalem, when he was greeted as “Son of David” and the long-awaited Messiah. We respond in the psalm, “I will praise your name forever, my king and my God.” This passage has an echo in Thomas’s declaration of faith, “My Lord and my God.”
Christ calls us to take his yoke upon our shoulders, to learn from him, to imitate his gentleness and humility, to make him our king. “Learn from me,” Christ says. Do we do this?
Jesus desire for us to make him our king does not limit itself only to religious sentiments. Do we ask him to teach us in every moment of our daily lives? Before we start out day, we can look at our tasks and our appointments and ask him to show us how to be his ministers in each event of our day. Before we pay our bills, we can pray our bills, asking the Lord to teach us how he wishes us to responsibly use our money. Before we decide what entertainment to pursue, we can ask the Lord to teach us how to relax in such a way that we can truly rest in him.
Another way of thinking about discipleship is stewardship. Too often, we think of stewardship as the 10% we are supposed to give back to God. God does not ask us for just 10%, however, and leaves the 90% for anything we want. God wants 100% of who we are and what we have. God has made us stewards of everything. Do we ask the Divine Master to teach us how to use all of the gifts he has given us? Do we ask the Lord to be Lord of every aspect of our lives?
In what areas of our lives are we good stewards of what God has given us?
In what areas can we still be better stewards?
List of all Reflections:
|10/31/2012||November 4, 2012 - Thirty First Sunday in Ordinary Time|
|10/24/2012||October 28, 2012-Thirtieth Sunday in Ordinary Time|
|10/17/2012||October 21, 2012-Twenty Ninth Sunday in Ordinary Time|
|02/29/2012||Second Sunday of Lent|
|01/18/2012||Third Sunday in Ordinary Time|
|08/17/2010||August 22, 2010|
|08/12/2010||Assumption of Mary|
The Birthday of the Church|
|05/29/2008||Ninth Sunday in Ordinary Time|
|10/16/2006||29th Sunday in Ordinary Time|
|10/13/2006||28th Sunday in Ordinary Time|
|06/28/2006||Thirteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time|
|01/23/2006||January 29th, 2006|
|01/16/2006||January 22nd, 2006|
|01/09/2006||January 15th, 2006|
|12/28/2005||New Years Day|
|11/21/2005||First Sunday of Advent|
|11/14/2005||Solemnity of Christ the King|
|11/09/2005||November 13, 2005|
|09/27/2005||October 2, 2005|
|09/19/2005||September 25, 2005|
|09/13/2005||September 18, 2005|
|09/05/2005||September 11, 2005|
|08/31/2005||September 4, 2005|
|07/11/2005||July 17, 2005|
|07/07/2005||July 10, 2005|
|07/06/2005||July 3, 2005|
|06/21/2005||June 26, 2005|
|06/14/2005||June 19th, 2005|
|05/23/2005||Feast of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ|
|05/16/2005||Holy Trinity Sunday|
|05/05/2005||May 8, 2005|
|04/26/2005||May 1st, 2005|
|04/18/2005||Fifth Sunday of Easter|
|04/11/2005||Fourth Sunday of Easter|
|04/06/2005||THIRD SUNDAY OF EASTER|
|04/06/2005||Divine Mercy Sunday|
|04/05/2005||Holy Thursday Homily|
|03/25/2005||The Passion of John|
|03/07/2005||FIFTH SUNDAY OF LENT|
|02/28/2005||Fourth Sunday of Lent|
|02/23/2005||Third Sunday of Lent|
|02/14/2005||Second Sunday of Lent|
|02/10/2005||First Sunday of Lent|
|01/31/2005||Feb. 6, 2005|
|01/24/2005||January 30th, 2005|
|01/17/2005||January 23, 2005|
|01/10/2005||January 16, 2005|
|01/05/2005||January 9th, 2005|
|01/02/2005||January 2, 2005|
|12/28/2004||Mary, Mother of God - Jan. 1st|
|12/26/2004||Feast of the Holy Family|
|12/13/2004||Fourth Sunday of Advent
Readings: Isaiah 7:10-14. Psalm 24: 1-6.
Romans 1:1-7. Matthew 1:18-24.|
|12/06/2004||Third Sunday of Advent
Readings: Isaiah 35:1-6a, 10. Psalm 146:6-10.
James 5:7-10. Matthew 11:2-11.
|12/01/2004||Second Sunday of Advent
Readings: Isaiah 11:1-10. Psalm 72, 1-2, 7-8, 12-13, 17.
Romans 15:4-9. Matthew 3: 1-12|
|11/29/2004||First Sunday of Advent
Readings: Isaiah 2:1-5. Psalm 122:1-9.
Romans 13:11-14. Matthew 24:37-44.|
|11/22/2004||The Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ the King
2 Samuel 5:1-3, Psalm 122:1-5,
Colossians 1:12-20, Luke 23:35-43|